Saturday, December 10, 2011

Apple

6"x6" oil on masonite

Its been over 12 years since I have painted in oils. When I started painting again, about 2 years ago. I decided it would be best to paint with acrylic. My reasoning for using acrylic paint was because my studio was located directly next to the furnace. For that reason, I didn't want to be working with the fumes of oil.

Since then I have discovered these water soluble oils. They don't need the flammable solvents like turpentine that traditional oils do. They thin with water, and a special linseed oil. I decided to pick some up this week and give them a try.

I am not sure if I like them or not yet? I do like the fact that unlike acrylics, I can blend the colors. I also like that my pallet does not dry out. The colors also go on and dry the way I want them too. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I learned a lot today. I am looking forward to my next painting in oils.

If anybody has used these paints or is currently using them, I would love to hear your thoughts...

10 comments:

  1. This apple looks crispy and solid--awesome. I've tried acrylics a couple times and they smell stronger than anything I use with my oils. Hate 'em. I've only tried the water soluble oils once--a sample w/an order. They seemed sticky to me. You seemed to do great with them though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Brad. Such focus and intensity of color. And, you know I'm a sucker for apples-ha! I haven't used water soluables for some time, but more and more people swear by them! Maybe time to try 'em again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Stephanie and Mary! What I was finding is that the water tends to make them a bit sticky. Linseed oil alone seemed to work best...

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, it certainly looks like you have a good command of these paints! I have not used them..I never worry about fumes and toxic things--I'm an old warhorse. I've heard that the water soluables are "weird". Many good painters use them, however--it must be a "developed taste"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Brad! It feels like a good, crsip apple. I've never used water soluble oils - hear mixed reviews. I go back and forth between acrylic and oil. Don't love the toxcity of oil but I'min an open room and I'm not around them all day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are awesome apples! Wow! I give two thumbs up to the new paints!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Kim and Katherine! I am exploring the paints. Yesterday I was fed up with them. They did feel sticky to me. Tonight I have kind of changed my tone. I used more linseed oil this time. Now they seem to glide a bit to easily. I think I just have to play around with them a bit and get a feel for them.

    Because I mixed the medium a bit to wet this time I am going to let it dry a bit and maybe revisit it again tomorrow. I am excited to explore.

    What I absolutely love about them is they smell like the traditional paints but clean up so easily. I dont know? There is a still a chance I can get converted?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful piece, Brad!! Love the strong reds...I don't work with oils that much but love the way it looks..very brilliant!

    ReplyDelete