Friday, December 23, 2011

Bottle with Apples

10"x8" acrylic on masonite

This painting was a joy to paint. It was fun focusing on the variety of shadows and tones in this piece. I found each apple to be so unique. Each had its own shape, color and details. Really looking forward to painting another one like this. I decided to add a few photos to demonstrate the steps of my painting.

I made this box out of foam core to block outside light.
By doing this I can easily control the light source on my subject.

Underpainting

Roughed in some darker colors to build lighter colors on

Added shadows and mid tones

I finished the painting with the lightest colors, details and highlights.

16 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy! But I can only imagine how much effort and practice it must take to reach this degree of skill... It's a beautiful painting! Thanks for showing the step by step. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding work...particularly on the bottle. Those apples look crisp and good enough to eat! So glad I found your Blog. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Katherine and Gwen! I appreciate the comments so much. I cant tell you how much that means to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luscious Brad, I could take a bite out of the apples!
    Happy holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Dana! Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unbelievable and believable, all at the same time. Merry Christmas, Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brad!!!!! This is so so beautiful...I love it!! Love the rich colors and that bottle!! and folds in the material!! You should be so proud of this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Suzanne and Hilda! Yes, I am very happy with this piece. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful painting, Brad! Beautiful rich colors against the grays and wonderful sense of light! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful piece, Brad! Really love the colorful reflections in the dark bottle!
    Thanks for the progress steps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful painting and amazing shiny colors!Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me encantan el colorido de las manzanas, tanta luminusidad y color puro logrado.
    Pintas muy bien !! me gusta tu blog.
    un beso y feliz año 2012

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Montse! I appreciate that and I love your blog too! Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete