Monday, December 5, 2011

Self Portrait

5"x7" acrylic on masonite

Today my boss had me do some portraits at work for an upcoming event. I really enjoyed getting away from the computer and picking up a pencil again. This inspired me to go home and do a self portrait. Thanks Joe!

I began roughing in a likeness with raw umber. As I got further along with my painting I thought to myself "this could be a cool facebook profile pic". So I did a bit of refining and some shading and here it is. I may add color to this one in the future but for now like it just the way it is. I think its kind of cool.

25 comments:

  1. I think it's very cool! I admire the boldness and confidence of it. And the depth of feeling that you created. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also did a portrait in the umbers, and quite enjoy them that way. Well done Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job! Nice lighting and brush work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love it Brad! It's brushy, immediate and strong. It must have been great to mix it up a bit at work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jose, Carol and Kim! I appreciate the comments. Yes, Kim. It was nice to mix it up at work for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool indeed Brad, great brushwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent, Brad...It is perfect as is--nothing else to do but use it...and put it in a frame

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great portrait Brad ...love the use of just one color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang, You are one good looking dude!
    Keep picking up that pencil & brush Brad...looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A really cool avatar, Brad!! You've picked out just enough detail in the features to make this outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's VERY cool. Love the grittiness and energy of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brad...this is awesome! Beautifully done. I would leave it like this and not add color!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Hilda! I think I will leave it as it is.

    ReplyDelete